Two workers at RAF Scampton have been dismissed over reports of some workers ‘doing doughnuts on the base’s runway,’ the Home Office said. A video emerged appearing to show a small number of workers performing the manoeuvre at the airbase on Tuesday, September 19, the BBC reports.
Workers are currently preparing the former station to house 2,000 asylum seekers by the end of the year as part of Government efforts to alleviate the strain on UK hotels, some of which are currently used for migrants. Speaking at a community engagement event on Thursday, September 26, a representative from the Home Office said two workers had been dismissed and called their behaviour ‘completely unacceptable’.
He said: “As soon as that video was sent to us, we launched an immediate investigation. We looked back at CCTV and found who exactly was responsible for that.
“Those two individuals were told on the Monday when they arrived, ‘Sorry, you’re off the site’.” He said their conduct fell below the standards of what is expected by the Home Office and encouraged residents to report any further issues.
During the same meeting, set up by the department to foster a dialogue between residents, representatives attempted to reassure locals about the controversial scheme. One representative said that the provision of toiletries, recreation, places of worship and primary medical care would keep ‘service users’ on the base.
After nine months, they will be moved into ‘dispersed accommodation’ across the UK. However, they declined to speak about the ongoing legal battle with West Lindsey District Council and the finances behind the scheme.