The King has been diagnosed with a form of cancer and has begun a schedule of regular treatments, Buckingham Palace said. While he has postponed public duties he “remains wholly positive about his treatment”.
King Charles III was recently discharged from the London Clinic after undergoing treatment for an enlarged prostate, which was said to be benign. During his three-night stay, a “separate issue” was detected.
In a statement issued on Monday, February 5, a palace spokesperson said: “During the King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.
“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.
“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.
“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
Charles, now 75, ascended to the British throne after his mother’s death in September 2022. His coronation was held at Westminster Abbey on May 6 last year and featured an aerial display by Lincolnshire’s own Red Arrows.
Catherine, the Princess of Wales, underwent surgery at the same clinic and was recovering there during Charles’ stay.