Liciten wigh Flash

Homeless man Anthony David Robertson who beat Skegness holidaymaker to death is jailed for life

A homeless man was handed a life sentence after being found guilty of the murder of a Skegness holidaymaker. Anthony David Robertson, 33, of no fixed address, was told he would face a minimum of 31 years behind bars by officials at Lincoln Crown Court on Monday, February 5.

As well as murdering 59-year-old Charles McGhee Adair, Robertson took his victim’s bank card, wallet and mobile phone. He was also sentenced to 12 years for robbery, 10 months for theft and two months for fraud. These sentences will run concurrently alongside the longer life sentence.

The jury was previously told that McGhee Adair had been visiting a music festival in Skegness between June 30 and July 2 when he randomly met Robertson. McGhee Adair, from Corby, was refused entry to the festival before making his way to Skegness town centre.

Get the latest Lincolnshire Live news with our email newsletters

The jury heard that, after meeting each other on the street, the pair spent a night together drinking and buying drugs – funded by McGhee Adair. They attended several bars, houses and shops that evening before they were seen entering scrubland on Richmond Drive, near Tesco.

This is where Robertson beat his victim to death and he was seen some time later leaving the area on his own. Police received a report of a body in the scrubland on July 3 at around 12.25pm and a murder investigation was subsequently launched.

A post-mortem examination confirmed McGhee Adair had serious head injuries including ‘extensive’ fractures and deep lacerations to his face which a pathologist said had been caused by ‘multiple’ blunt force traumas. Robertson had clearly targeted his victim’s head, causing the catastrophic injury in which his skull was cracked.

Charles McGhee Adair, 59
Charles McGhee Adair, 59

The pathologist said the injuries were not consistent with any particular weapon, but a piece of wood may have been used which was located in the scrubland. Robertson was identified through CCTV, located, and arrested on suspicion of murder. He was charged with murder, robbery, and fraud by misrepresentation.

Robertson, who initially denied any involvement, had pleaded guilty to manslaughter at a previous hearing. However, the jury found him guilty of murder and robbery on Friday, February 2. He had previously pleaded guilty to fraud.

DCI Jen Lovatt, from East Midlands Special Operations Unit, said: “Robertson clearly used Mr McGhee Adair to fund his night out during which he was bought alcohol, food, and drugs. Robertson used his victim as a cash-cow and aimed to obtain as much money from him as possible.

“Adair was set to leave Skegness later the day he died and would have ended Roberson’s cash flow, leading to the attack. He clearly set out to exploit Mr McGhee Adair’s generosity.

“Our investigation showed that Robertson used his victim’s bank card after death. Robertson sold the victim’s phone without his knowledge during the evening prior to his death.

“This was a vicious attack in which Robertson beat Mr McGhee Adair and left him for dead. He stole his wallet containing his bank card which he used several times and also stole his mobile phone.

“This was a complex investigation and we would like to thank everyone for their support. Our thoughts are with Mr McGhee Adair’s family at this difficult time. He was a much-loved grandad, dad, and friend to many.”

Scroll to Top